What is the Ride in the Rain Challenge?
The 2021 Ride in the Rain Challenge happens annually around Washington State throughout the month of November. It's a fun and free competition to encourage your friends and colleagues to try something new during the colder, more drizzly months. Develop new skills, become more confident biking in inclement weather, and stay active when most others are huddled inside. You'll be surprised what you're capable of.
Challenge yourself, your friends, your co-workers, or even complete strangers to push the envelope throughout the competition. There are lots of fantastic prizes being offered to tempt your team, which we'll announce as the challenge approaches.
How it works
- You and your friends compete against other teams of up to 10 people
- The aim is to earn the most points.
- You can ride anywhere, anytime between November 1 and 30 to take part.
The challenge is not just about who can ride the most miles, but about supporting a team of riders to ride more frequently and to encourage others to do the same. Riding daily for errands and mental health, despite the weather, might net you more points than a single 20-mile ride on a sunny weekend!
Users get points for miles ridden, number of days ridden, and number of people encouraged.
[Image description: Riders earn one point per mile and 10 points for each day that they ride. When riders "encourage" existing riders, they earn 50 points. When they "encourage" new riders, they earn 100 points]
- You earn 1 point per mile logged
- Each day you log a ride, you earn 10 day points
When someone signs up and logs their first three rides for the challenge, a prompt asks them if someone in particular encouraged them. If they enter you as their encourager, you get points!
Existing or new rider? When a person signs up on the platform and when they register for a challenge, they’re asked how much riding they’ve done in the last 12 months. If they answer a few a times or less, they’re classified as a new rider. People that ride more often are classified as existing riders.
Your team earns points for all the people you get to join your team and all the riding you all do. That means you get a team total of everyone's day, distance, and encourager points. It's that simple - just tally everyone's riding and encouraging together to see who is on top!
What are the benefits of participating?
- Free for everyone
- Loads of pedal powered camaraderie
- The spirit of friendly competition
- Help reduce congestion, emissions, and save people money
- That feeling of pride watching your team climb the leaderboard.
How to take part
Follow these four steps:
- Register on this website, it's free. Register here
- Ride a bike anywhere, anytime for at least 10 minutes between November 1 and 30, 2021.
- Record your ride here and tell your friends and coworkers about the challenge here.
- Reward yourself and your friends by winning prizes!
Interested in getting your whole company on board? Learn more here.
Like past challenges, teams will be limited to 10 riders. This challenge is all about encouraging people to ride, whether they already ride every week or haven't been on a bike in years. That means recognizing teams for having new riders and regular riders alike.
Your team's overall score will be determined through a combination of days ridden, miles ridden and encouragements given.
We'll have some physical prizes up for grabs as well as some experiences with Cascade Bicycle Club. Check out the "Prizes" tab above and stay tuned for how to qualify!