THE NATIONAL BIKE CHALLENGE 2018
Enjoy all the benefits of riding a bike this May while you take part in a fun team-based bike challenge!
The Challenge Format
We’ve made some improvements to the National Bike Challenge in 2018 to make it more exciting, punchy, and ultimately more successful at encouraging more people to ride, more often.
There are two that you can take part in:
- May 2018 - the National Bike Challenge - join a team (of up to 8 riders) and have some fun riding and encouraging others to ride too. There are points, leaderboards, and prizes!
- September 2018 – Cycle September – your organization compete against others of similar size. Rally your colleagues to ride, anytime, anywhere in September. Earn points to climb the leaderboard.
Individual Leaderboards - Year Round and May-September - you can also use the Love to Ride website (on which the National Bike Challenge is being run) to record your rides and compete on monthly individual leaderboards (e.g. Top Rider, Top Commuter, etc). The League of American Bicyclists will also be giving away some Top Rider awards for the summer riding season (May - September).
How to Earn Points
You earn points by:
- Riding; and
- Encouraging others to ride.
Team points are the sum of all of the individual team members’ points.
The points system has been carefully developed, tried and tested, over the last 4 years to ensure a fair and exciting competition, and to strongly encourage teams to engage new riders if they want to secure victory. Here’s how individual points are earned:
Overview – The National Bike Challenge – May 2018
- Start a team or join an existing team (or you can ride solo, but it’s more fun with some friends!)
- Teams can have up to 8 riders.
- Teams can be made-up of anyone – colleagues, friends, family, etc.
- Your team will compete against 9 other teams in your ‘Pool’ (more info on Pools below).
- Each individual and team will earn points as pictured below. The more points you earn by riding and by encouraging others to ride too, the higher up the leaderboard you’ll go.
- There will be winning teams in each Pool. Can you beat the other teams in your Pool to get on the podium?
- After the 3rd week of the Challenge, the top teams from each Pool are put into an additional leaderboard called ‘The Final Sprint’ where they'll face all the other top teams from each Pool to see which team is the best of the best!
Pools contain 10 teams. Pools mean that each team has a good chance of getting into 1st, 2nd or 3rd place in their Pool of 10 teams.
This makes for a more exciting and engaging competition for participants (as opposed to having 1 giant leaderboard where only the teams in the top are motivated to take part and engage, and teams in 78th place are not that engaged or motivated to take part!
How to Take Part
- Register on the website (or log in if you've registered on Love to Ride before)
- Create a team or join an existing team
- Ride a bike anywhere, anytime, during the month-long Challenge.
- Record your rides on the website (or via an app) to earn points
- Recruit your colleagues and friends to ride and join in too.
- Go into the prize drawing!
You can use one of the following apps:
- Ride Report
- Map My Ride
- The Love to Ride app
You can also log your rides manually. This is quick to do on the Love to Ride website.
Free prizes, just for riding your bike? Yes please!
Tried and Tested
The above team challenge format and the website technology built to run it has already been tried and tested in a National and local campaign called ‘Biketober’ which ran last October with much success. We are repeating this same format (with some improvements based on feedback) for the National Bike Challenge in May 2018 because it worked so well.
Who’s running the Challenge
About Love to Ride
Love to Ride is the online platform that gets more people riding, more often. Through our website and programs we have engaged more than 310,000 people and have encouraged more than 77,000 ‘non-riders’ to try riding a bike.
We work with cities, businesses, advocacy groups and riders around the world to provide best practice bicycle encouragement programs and make it easy and fun to encourage our friends, family, colleagues and community to rediscover the joys of riding.
More about Love to Ride for Cities
More about Love to Ride for Business
About the League of American Bicyclists
For generations past and to come, The League represents bicyclists in the movement to create safer roads, stronger communities, and a bicycle-friendly America. Through information, advocacy and promotion, we work to celebrate and preserve the freedom cycling brings to our members everywhere.
Bicycling brings people together.
When more people ride bikes:
- Life is better for everyone;
- Communities are safer, stronger and better connected;
- Our nation is healthier, economically stronger, environmentally cleaner and more energy independent.
A Tool for Encouraging Riding
We know that riding a bike has tremendous benefits and that the best way to realize those benefits is to get on a bike. So we provide the incentives, tools and support to help you and your friends, colleagues, and family to start riding and experience the joys and benefits of bicycling firsthand.
Love to Ride offers a single platform where you can keep track of your riding, find answers and resources to help you ride more confidently, get access to discounts at local bike shops, win prizes for riding, and to encourage your friends and colleagues to ride (and win prizes for that too!).
We like to think of people who take part in Love to Ride programs and Challenges as partners who help us to spread the love of bicycling by combining our tools with your enthusiasm!
Got More Questions?
Registered on Love to Ride in the past? Log in here! (welcome back!)