Drive Less, Bike More in 2021
You've turned the pedals for the National Bike Challenge and joined the League of American Bicyclists and Love to Ride in sharing the bike joy. Now, take on your next big bike challenge and help us turn one million miles of car trips into bike trips!
One Million Miles!
Most trips we take everyday are three miles or less. Think about your nearest coffee shop or grocery store — they’re probably a lot closer than you think. To close out 2021, challenge yourself: before you grab your car keys for that next trip, consider if it would be more fun to get there by bike!
Doing your next trip by bike isn’t impossible, it’s bike possible. Drive less and bike more with the League in 2021 and be part of our movement to flip 1 million miles of car trips to bike trips.
Make sure your rides count towards out 1 million mile goal!
Every time you log a ride you can choose a trip purpose. When you log a ride for transportation to work, a meeting, or another destination, those miles contribute towards our goal of replacing 1 million miles of car trips to bike trips.
The National Bike Challenge
The 2021 National Bike Challenge is a nationwide event that unites thousands of new and existing bicyclists across the country in a friendly campaign designed to celebrate and encourage biking.
We want bike riders of all flavors to show their support for a bike-friendly USA and join the National Bike Challenge. Let's create a happier, healthier world and get more people riding and smiling!
What and when?
The National Bike Challenge runs from May to September 2021. Throughout the National Bike Challenge, individuals and groups of friends can compete across various leaderboards through the whole 5-month riding season.
The National Bike Challenge also includes two challenges for individual riders and organizations to participate in: Bike Month and Cycle September.
Bike Month is all about highlighting the benefits of riding a bike during the Coronavirus Era. Set goals, connect with others, and win prizes! Workplaces can also create profiles and can use them to communicate with staff, motivate each other to ride, encourage friendly internal competition, and stay connected. Interested in getting a profile for your organization?
- Cycle September: participating organizations can take what they've learned and put their riding to the test. Workplaces compete for top spots on the business and industry leaderboards in one of seven size categories. Take part on a global stage with even more great prizes up for grabs!
Who can take part in the National Bike Challenge?
- Existing riders
- New riders
- Cities / Counties / States / MPOs
- Clubs and groups
Why take part?
There are a bike load of reasons to participate:
- Achieve your cycling goals - Use the challenge as motivation to enjoy riding more. Set goals, earn badges, cheer each other on, and enjoy some friendly rivalry with your friends, neighbors, and coworkers
- You want a bike-friendly world – Show your support for biking and a healthier, happier world
- Win prizes - We've got some great prizes that you can win by participating
- Compete on leaderboards - if a little friendly competition gets your legs cranking, then we have a host of leaderboards for you to enjoy
- Enjoy building community - connect with your friends, coworkers and fellow riders. Share your stories and your photos and encourage each other to enjoy riding
- Let's get more people riding and smiling - your participation helps to show how many people ride, and you can also encourage non-riding friends and co-workers to get back on a bike. More people riding helps to get biking infrastructure built and helps our communities become more bike-friendly
Get yourself signed-up
How can I take part?
- As an individual
- As a group (of friends, social riding group, cycling club, etc.)
- As a workplace
- All of the above :-)
Groups and individuals are added automatically to the National Bike Challenge. Log a ride on your profile at any point between May 1 and September 30 to take part.
A little competitive?
The 2021 National Bike Challenge follows the same format as the previous two years. You can use your club/group from 2019 or 2020 if you took part in the National Bike Challenge before.
You can use one of the following apps:
You can also log your rides manually. This is quick to do on your profile.
Who’s running the challenge?
Love to Ride and the League of American Bicyclists are joining forces to bring you the National Bike Challenge. Read more about the organizations behind the Challenge here.
Why join Love to Ride?
We know that riding a bike has tremendous benefits for individuals, workplaces and communities. So we provide the tools and support to help you and your friends, coworkers, and family to start riding, or to ride more often, and experience the joys and benefits of riding firsthand.
Love to Ride offers a single platform where you can keep track of your riding, find answers and resources to help you ride more confidently, win prizes for riding, and to encourage your friends and coworkers to ride (and win prizes for that too).
Help us spread the love of bicycling by combining our platform and programs with your enthusiasm for biking.
Got more questions?
- Check out the Website FAQ
Get yourself signed-up
Have a question about cycling in the coronavirus era?
We've pulled together the latest advice on how to keep safe whilst cycling, tips to help you take up cycling and a link to our brand new website that has all the reasons why biking is important as ever! Check out ride-healthy.com
Follow us on social
- For daily prize winner announcements
- exclusive prize giveaways
- and to help us grow the Love to Ride community