BAY AREA BIKE TO WHEREVER DAYS -- September 2020!
Enjoy all the benefits of riding a bike while you take part in a fun team-based bike challenge!
The Challenge Format
Let's get as many Bay Area bicyclists to commit to riding as much as possible for the entire month of September. Through the platform, riders can track their rides, join a team, join groups & clubs, win virtual prizes, win real prizes (random drawings for those in the nine county San Francisco Bay Area), or just have fun. For competitive types, your team can compete against other teams and individuals can compete against each other as well.
Overview – Bike To Wherever Days – September 2020
- Start a team or join an existing team (or you can ride solo, but it’s more fun with some friends!)
- Teams can have up to 10 riders.
- Teams can be composed of anyone -- colleagues, friends, family, etc.
- Each individual and team will earn points as pictured below. The more points you earn by riding and by encouraging others to ride, the higher up the leaderboard you’ll go!
- There will be a leaderboard of all teams ranked by points earned. You can filter this leaderboard by county and by company size (if your team is associated with your employer).
- It is ok for a few team members to be from outside the Bay Area (we know that many of us are working remotely) however only individuals in the nine county San Francisco Bay Area are eligible for the individual random drawings for physical prizes.
How to Take Part
- Register on the website (or log in if you've registered on Love to Ride before)
- Create a team or join an existing team
- Ride a bike anywhere, anytime, during the month-long Challenge.
- Record your rides on the website (or via an app) to earn points
- Recruit your colleagues and friends to ride and join in too.
- Competition winners are rewarded with just the glory of recognition and being immortalized on our website. Physical prizes are awarded randomly during the month of September to participants who are in the nine county San Francisco Bay Area.
How to Earn Points
You earn points by:
- Riding; and
- Encouraging others to ride - (learn more about encouraging)
Team points are the sum of all of the individual team members’ points.
The points system has been carefully developed, tried and tested, over the last 4 years to ensure a fair and exciting competition, and to strongly encourage teams to engage new riders if they want to secure victory. Here’s how individual points are earned:
You can use one of the following apps:
- Map My Ride
You can also log your rides manually. This is easy to do on the Love to Ride website.
Biking in the Coronavirus Era
See the following website for information about biking in the Coronavirus Era: ride-healthy.com
Who’s Running the Challenge
The challenge is being offered as part of the San Francisco Bay Area Bike To Wherever Days 2020 program (replacing the usual Bay Area Bike to Work Day this year).
- Alameda - Bike East Bay
- Contra Costa - Bike East Bay & 511 Contra Costa
- Marin - Marin County Bicycle Coalition
- Napa - Napa County Bicycle Coalition
- San Francisco - San Francisco Bicycle Coalition
- San Mateo - Silicon Valley Bicycle Coalition & Commute.org
- Santa Clara - Silicon Valley Bicycle Coalition
- Solano - Solano Transportation Authority
- Sonoma - Sonoma County Bicycle Coalition
In partnership with Love to Ride.
About Bay Area Bike to Wherever Days
Bike to Wherever Days (BTWD) was created as a way to encourage new bicyclists across the nine counties of the Bay Area to try riding wherever they need to go -- with the hope that they will get the pedaling bug and keep riding all year long. Bicycle coalitions and congestion management organizations in each of the nine bay area counties work hard to improve roads, trails, paths, laws, bike parking, and education to help new and seasoned riders get where they need to go safely.
About Love to Ride
Love to Ride is the online platform that gets more people riding, more often. Through our website and programs we have engaged more than 411,000 people and have encouraged more than 98,000 ‘non-riders’ to try riding a bike.
We work with cities, businesses, advocacy groups and riders around the world to provide best practice bicycle encouragement programs and make it easy and fun to encourage our friends, family, colleagues and community to rediscover the joys of riding.
More about Love to Ride for Cities
More about Love to Ride for Business
A Tool for Encouraging Riding
We know that riding a bike has tremendous benefits and that the best way to realize those benefits is to get on a bike. So we provide the incentives, tools and support to help you and your friends, colleagues, and family to start riding and experience the joys and benefits of bicycling firsthand.
Love to Ride offers a single platform where you can keep track of your riding, find answers and resources to help you ride more confidently, get access to discounts at local bike shops, win prizes for riding, and to encourage your friends and colleagues to ride (and win prizes for that too!).
We like to think of people who take part in Love to Ride programs and Challenges as partners who help us to spread the love of bicycling by combining our tools with your enthusiasm!
Registered on Love to Ride in the past?
Log in here! (welcome back!)
New? Register here!