BAY AREA BIKE CHALLENGE
Enjoy all the benefits of riding a bike this May while you take part in a fun team-based bike challenge!
The Challenge Format
We’ve made some changes to the Bay Area Bike Challenge in 2018 to get as many Bay Area bike commuters to commit to riding for the entire month of May – National Bike Month - as possible. Through the platform, riders can track their rides, win virtual prizes, join a team, or just have fun. For competitive types, the platform allows you to create teams and compete against other teams.
Overview – Bay Area Bike Challenge – May 2018
- Start a team or join an existing team (or you can ride solo, but it’s more fun with some friends!)
- Teams can have up to 8 riders.
- Teams can be composed of anyone -- colleagues, friends, family, etc.
- Your team will compete against 9 other teams in your ‘Pool’ (more info on Pools below).
- Each individual and team will earn points as pictured below. The more points you earn by riding and by encouraging others to ride, the higher up the leaderboard you’ll go!
- There will be winning teams in each Pool. Can you beat the other teams in your Pool to get on the podium?
- After the 3rd week of the challenge, the top team from each Pool is put into an additional leaderboard called ‘The Final Sprint.’ They'll face the top teams from all the other Pools to see which team is the best of the best!
- In addition to the team winners, awards will be given for top male/female rider, most trips ridden by male/female riders, the top male/female new rider, and the top male/female encourager.
How to Take Part
- Register on the website (or log in if you've registered on Love to Ride before)
- Create a team or join an existing team
- Ride a bike anywhere, anytime, during the month-long Challenge.
- Record your rides on the website (or via an app) to earn points
- Recruit your colleagues and friends to ride and join in too.
- Go into the prize drawing!
How to Earn Points
You earn points by:
- Riding; and
- Encouraging others to ride.
Team points are the sum of all of the individual team members’ points.
The points system has been carefully developed, tried and tested, over the last 4 years to ensure a fair and exciting competition, and to strongly encourage teams to engage new riders if they want to secure victory. Here’s how individual points are earned:
Pools contain 10 teams. By riding in a pool, each team has a good chance of getting into 1st, 2nd or 3rd place, which makes for an exciting and engaging competition for participants (as opposed to having one giant leaderboard where only the teams in the top are motivated to take part, and teams in 78th place are not that motivated to compete).
You can use one of the following apps:
- Ride Report (a sponsor of this year's Bike to Work Day!)
- Map My Ride
You can also log your rides manually. This is easy to do on the Love to Ride website.
Free prizes, just for riding your bike? Yes please!
Check out the prizes page for eligible prizes.
Who’s Running the Challenge
About Bay Area Bike to Work Day
Bike to Work Day (BTWD) was created as a way to encourage new bicyclists across the nine counties of the Bay Area to try commuting to work at least once -- with the hope that they will get the pedaling bug and keep riding all year long. Presented by the Metropolitan Transportation Commission, 511.org and Kaiser Permanente, bicycle coalitions and congestion management organizations in each county bring volunteers and good cheer out along morning and evening commute routes to help new and seasoned riders get to work safely. Learn more about Bay Area Bike to Work Day here.
About Love to Ride
Love to Ride is the online platform that gets more people riding, more often. Through our website and programs we have engaged more than 310,000 people and have encouraged more than 77,000 ‘non-riders’ to try riding a bike.
We work with cities, businesses, advocacy groups and riders around the world to provide best practice bicycle encouragement programs and make it easy and fun to encourage our friends, family, colleagues and community to rediscover the joys of riding.
More about Love to Ride for Cities
More about Love to Ride for Business
About the League of American Bicyclists
For generations past and to come, The League represents bicyclists in the movement to create safer roads, stronger communities, and a bicycle-friendly America. Through information, advocacy and promotion, we work to celebrate and preserve the freedom cycling brings to our members everywhere.
Bicycling brings people together.
When more people ride bikes:
- Life is better for everyone;
- Communities are safer, stronger and better connected;
- Our nation is healthier, economically stronger, environmentally cleaner and more energy independent.
A Tool for Encouraging Riding
We know that riding a bike has tremendous benefits and that the best way to realize those benefits is to get on a bike. So we provide the incentives, tools and support to help you and your friends, colleagues, and family to start riding and experience the joys and benefits of bicycling firsthand.
Love to Ride offers a single platform where you can keep track of your riding, find answers and resources to help you ride more confidently, get access to discounts at local bike shops, win prizes for riding, and to encourage your friends and colleagues to ride (and win prizes for that too!).
We like to think of people who take part in Love to Ride programs and Challenges as partners who help us to spread the love of bicycling by combining our tools with your enthusiasm!
Got More Questions?
Registered on Love to Ride in the past? Log in here! (welcome back!)