What is the Atlanta Bike Challenge - Biketober?
The Atlanta Bike Challenge - Biketober is a fun and free competition to encourage your friends and colleagues to experience firsthand the joys and benefits of riding a bike. There are lots of fantastic prizes being offered to tempt your team, which we'll announce as the Challenge approaches!
How it works
People from across the metro Atlanta region will compete against each other in social teams of up to 8 people, including friends, family, or colleagues. You and your team earn points for every mile you ride, every day you ride, and for every person you encourage to sign up (they don't have to be in your team - they just have to log a ride in Biketober!). The points system has been carefully selected to ensure a fair and exciting competition, and to strongly encourage teams to engage new riders if they want to climb the leaderboard and secure victory.
Your team will compete against 9 other teams within your pool (pools fill up chronologically - that means as people create teams, they get put into a pool with other teams created around the same time), so there's a good chance you can win! Then, after the 3rd week of Biketober, the top team from each pool will ALSO be put into a special bonus Final Sprint where they'll face all the other pool winners in a playoff to determine the top Biketober team in the entire region!
You've got all month (October 1-31) to get out and earn points!
So once again, that's:
- Teams of up to 8 people (anyone!)
- Compete against 9 other teams in your pool
- Top teams from each pool will face off at the end of the month
- Lots of prizes, of course!
Team points are simple - the sum total of all the points earned by their team members - how do you earn individual points? Well...
Users get points for mileage, number of days ridden, and number of people encouraged. Here's how you get encourager points: when someone signs up and logs their first ride for the Challenge a prompt pops up and asks them to identify whether someone in particular encourage them. If they identify you as their encourager, then you get points!
Why sync with Ride Report?
Here are three great reasons to download the Ride Report app:
- It logs your rides automatically! No need to press start or stop. Through the magic of technology, the app knows when you’re riding your bike and automatically logs your rides.
- Help make your city better for riding - The data collected is used by the City of Atlanta's Chief Bicycle Officer to inform better bike infrastructure decisions!
- Automatically go into our prize draws - Not only do you automatically share your data, but by syncing with Love to Ride you also automatically get entered to win prizes!
What are the benefits to you and the community?
- Free for everyone
- Fun team-building activity
- A friendly competition across the metro Atlanta region
- Help reduce congestion, emissions, and save people money
- Prize incentives and bragging rights
How to take part
Follow these four steps:
- Register on this website, it's free. Register here
- Ride a bike anywhere, anytime for at least 10 minutes between October 1st and 31st.
- Record your ride here and tell your friends and coworkers about the Challenge
- Reward yourself and your friends by winning prizes!
Your team can include anyone (friends, family, colleagues), up to 8 total people.
Don't have a bike?
Don't worry! You can borrow one from us at the free 'try-a-bike' events that we're running, or you can always borrow a bike from a friend or rent one from a local bike shop. If you can't find a bike to ride, let us know, and we'll see what we can do!
We're giving away some great prizes! Find out what you can win...