May is bike month! In honor of this, Shasta County will celebrate the month with the Shasta Bike Challenge, 31 days of riding.
Please visit www.ShastaBikeChallenge.org for further details.
- March 22- April 19: The Great Bike Giveaway! Tell us your story of where an e-bike would take you and have a chance at winning an e-bike! See below for more details including the link to apply.
- April 1- May 31: Big Foot Mountain Bike Challenge. Explore amazing local trails on your mountain bike! This event is inspired by Riders for Riders. New this year is Bigfoot Jr. to encourage the youth to "Get Out and Ride". Free to participate . Participation and cash prizes!
- May 1- 31: Shasta Bike Month Challenge- Sign up or Champion a worksite, school, social group, or family team!
- April 23rd 7-9PM: Whole Earth and Watershed Virtual Film Festival, which includes films with bikes! Ticket packages include 5 days of video-on-demand viewing following the film festival (April 24th- 28th) as well as raffle tickets for a Yuba E-cargo Bike! Consider grabbing a take-out dinner at one of Redding's fabulous restaurants before the show!
- April 24th 8:30AM @The Sundial Bridge: Are you new to cycling, haven't ridden in a while, or are looking for people to ride with? Try Shasta Wheelman's 'Get Acquainted Ride'. Distance 15-20 and mostly flat terrain.
- April 24th: Celebrate National Trails Day. Trail clean up and ride. Location and time TBD.
- April 29th 6:30-8PM: Get your bike ready to ride! Looking for tips to fit your helmet, bike, fill your tires, and check your brakes? Check out various bike stations to learn and get your bike in top riding condition. Must sign up to reserve your spot. Please wear a mask. This workshop will be held at the Chain Gang Bike Shop. Sign ups will be available soon.
- May 1- 31: Scavenger hunt. Details coming soon!
- May 5th: National Bike to School Day
- May 19th 5:30-7:30PM: Ride with a Transportation Official, Location TBD.
- May 19th 7PM: Ride of Silence. Ride to honor fallen cyclists. Sponsored by Shasta Wheelman. Location TBD.
- May 21st: National Bike to Work Day. Arrange a "bike train" by riding to work with co-workers. See how many workers can get on the train by starting at one central location and riding to other locations/ neighborhoods to pick other co-workers up to ride as a group.
- May 26th 11:30-12:30PM: Ride with a Transportation Official. Location TBD.
Beyond Bike Month
The Shasta Bike Depot, to be completed in 2022 will be a place to grab a bite to eat, store your bike while working and shopping downtown, check out bike share, or meet up with friends. More info about it, the Downtown Connector Loop, Dietselhorst to Downtown path, and more great programs and initiatives to make Shasta County more bike friendly.
Love Dirt? Follow the Redding Trail Alliance as they continuously build and maintain trails in our community. New Bike Park coming soon in Redding! Join them for trail work days.