Drive Less, Bike More
Ride to two million in 2022
Last year, the League of American Bicyclists and Love to Ride challenged you to transform 1 million car miles into bike miles and you beat that target by a whopping 500,000 miles. Are you ready for your next mission; to ride 2 million miles for transportation?
Be part of the League of American Bicyclists’ goal to inspire more people to see the bike for all of its possibilities: for fitness, for transportation, and for fun!
Learn more about the League’s work to build a Bicycle Friendly America for everyone.
Two Million Miles
Did you know that nearly half of all trips in the USA are under 3 miles? That’s less than a 20 minute bike ride.
If we could switch a few of our car trips for bike trips, not only would we feel fitter, healthier and happier, but we’d also reduce our emissions and protect our environment. In fact, if we ride 2 million miles instead of drive, we’ll save over 580,000 kg of CO2 from entering the atmosphere. That would have taken almost 28,000 trees a whole year to absorb!
Do you think you can ride to 2 million and help make a real impact in your community? We know you can!
Make sure your rides count towards our 2 million mile goal
Every time you log a ride you can choose a trip purpose. When you log a ride for transportation to work, a meeting, or another destination, those miles contribute towards our goal of replacing 2 million miles of car trips with bike trips.
For those new to Love to Ride:
1. Your first step is to register for Love to Ride. At registration, you will be asked some quick questions to gauge your riding level, motivations and barriers.
2. Once you have an account, you can start logging rides on your profile or connect Strava to automatically log your rides.
3. Follow the steps for those already on Love to Ride (below) to get the low-down on ride logging.
For those already on Love to Ride:
1. Every time you log a ride on your profile, you will be asked to specify your trip type. If you select 'transport to or from work', 'transport to or from another destination' or 'transport to or from meeting', those miles will automatically count towards the transportation trip total.
2. If you are using a ride-logging app such as Strava, your rides may be listed as fun and fitness trips. These can easily be changed on your profile. Scroll to 'Activity' and click 'Edit'.