What is the PSU Bike Challenge?
The PSU Bike Challenge is a fun, free competition month-long challenge designed to encourage both new and experienced riders to ride their bike as much as possible in the month of May. There are lots of fantastic prizes to win, which we'll announce as the Challenge approaches.
How it works
PSU departments will compete against each other to see who can get the most students and staff to ride a bike between May 1st and 31st, 2017.
The Challenge will uses a points model to allow departments to compete with each other across their size category (see below). The points system has been carefully selected to ensure a fair and exciting competition, and to strongly encourage participants to engage new riders if they want to climb the leaderboard and secure victory! It also now awards special bonus points to some of the core missions of the Challenge!
The Challenge is not just about who can ride the most miles, but who can encourage the most people to give bicycling a try.
Team points are simple - the sum total of all
the points earned by their team members - how do you earn individual
Users get points for mileage, number of days ridden, and number of people encouraged. Here's how you get encourager points: when someone signs up and logs their first ride for the Challenge a prompt pops up and asks them to identify whether someone in particular encourage them. If they identify you as their encourager, then you get points!
We also have some EXTRA SPECIAL BONUS points -
- New riders - DOUBLE day and mile points (Because we want to get more people riding!)
- Ride to work once - 50 points (Because riding to work is great! And we want more people to try it out and experience the benefits firsthand)
- Achieve 3 badges during the Challenge - 50 points (Grow your skills and challenge yourself!)
What are the benefits to your department?
- Free to join the Challenge
- A fun activity for your whole team
- A friendly competition between staff, faculty, and students by department
- Generate community benefits (environmental, health, congestion, etc.)
- Prize incentives including bike gear, and more!
How to take part
Follow these four steps:
- Register on this website with your PSU email (@pdx.edu)
- Ride a bike anywhere, anytime for at least 10 minutes during the Challenge
- Record your ride here on the website or on the "Love to Ride" App for Android and iPhone
- Tell your friends and coworkers about the Challenge
- Reward yourself and your team by winning prizes!
Your participation will count towards your team's score - the more students and staff that participate in the challenge, the more points your team earns!
Don't have a bike?
We also offer daily and weekly rentals to the general public and carry a large inventory of road-ready bicycles available for purchase. Check out our website for more info.
We're giving away some great prizes! Find out what you can win...